Before March of 2022, any visitor with a link could open and edit a Mural.
Visitors (anonymous users who are not logged in or do not have an account) represent ~40% of traffic to Mural’s app at any given time. It was determined from up high that we would be imposing limitations to visitors in order to better incentivize converting them to paying members. With this change, these users would need a seamless way to convert.
We hypothesized that visitors who could no longer collaborate effectively under these new limitations would have a desire to convert to members. But what would be the best, fastest way for these users to join a workspace?
That's where Request Edit Access comes in. By submitting a request to the Workspace admin, visitors would be enabled to join that workspace and get back to collaborating.
I was the creative lead on this project, with PM support from Tiffany Sawnhey, Content by Tyler Altes, and Analytics by Nick Ludlow.
I led a workshop in Mural with stakeholders, designers content to determine what the perfect future state of request edit access would be, with the intent to work back from there to build out the MVP.
What resulted was a proposed future Edit Access that featured a ton of awesome ideas and improvements, including:
After the workshop, my engineering partners and I worked back from there together to determine what was achievable in the time allotted.
We cut back a ton, focusing on creating a lean, functional flow. Some of the elements we had to cut for time were experience impacting, including:
With the future flow established, we began visual exploration on what the canvas elements might include now. Things I tried to consider when developing this flow:
Because of the complexity involved at each step, partnering with content was critical to the success of this project. Working closely with Tyler, we crafted concise language to clarify as much information as was needed at each step.
During this phase, I also partnered with my colleagues on the Enablement team on potential optimizations to the Onboarding flow which occurs after a visitor converts to a member.
After collaborating on content and aligning on directions in crit, I fleshed out the entire flow in Figma from initial open to sign up. Using the Figma prototype I created from these designs, we validated the usability and got buy-in from Growth leadership.
In May we launched a 50/50 test in Optimizely targeting free Workspaces. This experiment was run on newly created Workspaces to be able to test on new cohorts.
In support of the experiment, I collaborated with our PM on a one-pager in Mural outlining the context of the experiment, audience, metrics, and experiment status:
This project was launched to all MURAL users on June 29th 2022.
Since then, we have seen the following results*:
*Data collected on October 2, 2022
Before I was let go, we had several planned optimizations to this flow to capture more value and bring us closer to our future state, including: